Burn Permits; Residential Burning and Recreational Fires

Allowable Burn Periods:

Effective as of May 26, 2020, burn periods have been updated to coincide with the Department of Natural Resources. The official announcement can be found by [clicking here]. 

Residential Yard Debris Burning will be allowed January 1 through June 15, and October 15 through December 31. This is different than a burn ban. Burn bans can still be imposed based on current conditions for air quality or safety reasons. This does not effect recreational fires. 

Burn Permits:

A Burn Permit is required for burning any yard debris. To obtain a permit, fill out the form below or call (253) 851-3111. Burn Permits are good for the calendar year, expiring on December 31 of each year. There is no cost.

Click the image to open a .pdf

Outdoor burning regulations are administered by the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency and follow the state Clean Air Act (Chapter 173-425 WAC). The fire district does not set these regulations, but must enforce them. Our responsibility begins with a permitting process for all outdoor burning.

  Puget Sound Clean Air Agency Website
Limited residential outdoor burning is allowed in portions of Pierce County Fire District #5. Residents who live outside the no-burn zone are allowed to burn their yard debris. There is a map provided, or you may call us to find out if you are outside of this area. Land-clearing burns are no longer allowed and you cannot obtain a permit for them. The largest fire you may have is 4’x4′.

Outdoor Burning Regulations (.pdf)

Outdoor burning is strictly limited to yard and garden debris (natural vegetation only) that is generated on the property.

Burning of the following materials is prohibited: Processed wood products including finished lumber, paper products, plywood and particle board, construction or demolition debris, paints, asphalt and petroleum products, plastic products, tires and rubber products, garbage and dead animals.

Discontinuance of Permit: Complaints arising from smoke or flying ash will cause the permittee to do one or more of the following: (1) Burn the fire hotter to consume the smoke, but do not add additional fuel that causes smoke; or (2) Extinguish the fire.

HAUL IT! Rake up your excess material and haul it to your nearest Recycling/Transfer station. Also, check with your local waste disposal company for curbside yard waste recycling availability.

COMPOST IT! Composting yard and garden waste protects the air, land and water resources while providing a rich garden fertilizer.

CHIP IT! Some residents are choosing to chip their debris. Chippers may be rented or a chipping service hired to take care of your material. Wood chips make excellent mulch around trees and shrubs and can also be used to soften garden paths.

MULCH IT! By mulching, we can easily put nature’s recycling system to work in our own backyard. Spread yard and garden debris around shrubs, trees, and other plantings, Mulching keeps the soil loose and moist, smothers weeds, prevents soil loss and releases nutrients as it decomposes.

During daylight hours when there is not a burn ban imposed. Call 851-3111 for a burn permit and to find out if there is a burn ban.

Scroll to Top
Malcare WordPress Security