Monday, August 21, 2017

Burn Permit Information

A Burn Permit is required for all outdoor burning.

Permits can be issued for Residential and Recreational fires. However, land-clearing burns are no longer allowed. A permit for yard debris burning will not be issued within the "NO-BURN" zone. (click for map of no burn zone)

*Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One is now issuing Residential Yard Debris burn permits that are valid until the end of the calendar year. There is no cost for these permits. These annual permits replace the daily permit system and eliminate the need to call each time you wish to burn. To obtain your burn permit, visit or call our headquarters during normal business hours (M-F 8-5), 10222 Bujacich Rd. NW, 253-851-3111.

To download the complete rules and regulations for both types of burning, click below:

Residential Yard Debris Fire -- Permit Required
Recreational Fires

Outdoor burning regulations are administered by the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency and follow the state Clean Air Act (Chapter 173-425 WAC). The fire district does not set these regulations, but must enforce them. Our responsibility begins with a permitting process for all outdoor burning. Click above to link to their website at:

Burn Ban Information Hotline  253-851-0089
Burn Permit by Telephone 253- 851-3111

Burn Ban 101 - What Can I Burn During a Stage 1 Ban? - Click for more info


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: May I burn my excess yard waste?

A: Limited residential outdoor burning is allowed in portions of Pierce County Fire District #5. Residents who live outside the non-attainment areas are allowed to burn their yard debris. Contact Pierce County Fire District #5 to see if you are outside this area.


Q: What are my alternatives to burning my yard debris?

A: HAUL IT! Rake up your excess material and haul it to your nearest Recycling/Transfer station. Also, check with your local waste disposal company for curbside yard waste recycling availability. COMPOST IT! Composting yard and garden waste protects the air, land and water resources while providing a rich garden fertilizer. CHIP IT! Some residents are choosing to chip their debris. Chippers may be rented or a chipping service hired to take care of your material. Wood chips make excellent mulch around trees and shrubs and can also be used to soften garden paths. MULCH IT! By mulching, we can easily put nature's recycling system to work in our own backyard. Spread yard and garden debris around shrubs, trees, and other plantings, Mulching keeps the soil loose and moist, smothers weeds, prevents soil loss and releases nutrients as it decomposes.

Q: When may I burn?


A: During daylight hours when there is not a burn ban imposed. Call the Burn Ban information line at 851-0089 to check on the current burn status, then 851-3111 for a burn permit


Q: What may I burn?

A: Outdoor burning is strictly limited to yard and garden debris (natural vegetation only) that is generated on the property.


Burning of the following materials is prohibited:

Processed wood products including finished lumber, paper products, plywood and particle board, construction or demolition debris, paints, asphalt and petroleum products, plastic products, tires and rubber products, garbage and dead animals.

Discontinuance of Permit:

 Complaints arising from smoke or flying ash will cause the permittee to do one or more of the following: (1) Burn the fire hotter to consume the smoke, but do not add additional fuel that causes smoke; or (2) Extinguish the fire.


Effective Saturday, July 15
8:00 AM until further notice.
More Info About this Ban
General Burn Ban Information

Committee Information

Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One is considering the proposal of a General Fire Levy Lid-lift measure for the  November 7, 2017 General Election.  As such, we are seeking members for the “For” and “Against” Committees as required by RCW 29A.32.280. Interested parties should contact Executive Assistant Danette Weyn by July 28th at 5:00 PM.


Danette Weyn
10222 Bujacich Rd. NW
Gig Harbor, WA 98332
(253) 851-3111

 Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One | 10222 Bujacich Rd. NW, Gig Harbor, WA 98332 | Phone: (253) 851-3111 Fax: (253) 851-9606 facebook twitter